Today, large banks, retail chains, and real estate market players are doing business on the Internet, forced to play on a new field in the context of digital transformation. Applying DevOps services will help them become more agile and increase time to market of any product they are bringing to the market. Learn more about DevOps benefits for business and ways to leverage them in your writing.
Place of DevOps in Software Development
IT technologies can no longer be considered a single whole, working according to general rules. They should be considered both traditional, with security and risk minimization priorities (Traditional IT), and flexible, able to quickly respond to new requirements (Agile IT ).
Development of various systems requires different approaches:
- systems of records (key production solutions, for example, processing systems of banks) – can be developed developed traditionally, using classical waterfall methods of project management,
- systems of innovation (services open to users, for example, mobile bank, portal) – require frequent and instant changes and agile software development.
However, it can be difficult to separate some systems from others: in order to keep up with market requirements, you need to constantly update it. And this, in turn, may require changing the software modules of the system of records, which, as a result, ceases to be stable and acquires the features of an innovation system. In this situation, we can no longer talk about two-speed IT architecture, but about variable, or flexible, IT.
So, how to modernize your company’s technology stack and organize the work so that, with the same quality, you can significantly speed up the introduction of changes?
The answer is DevOps.
DevOps services are a set of actions aimed at enhancing the effectiveness of the development and software performance through active interaction of automation tools. DevOps is positioned as an Agile approach for eliminating organizational and time boundaries between development teams and other participants in the software life cycle (testers, administrators, technical support) so that they can quickly and more reliably collect, examine and launch the software.
Cost savings with DevOps managed services are achieved, for example, by deploying a development and testing environment. At the same time, such an environment does not mean IaaS, not a virtual machine, or even a platform as a service (PaaS) with all the necessary basic software, but a full-fledged platform for working with just created code. In this case, the quality of the next version will be guaranteed by:
- well-built processes of control and versioning of the code,
- testing its quality and security,
- monitoring the test environments themselves.
Applying DevOps as a method that allows the entire company’s team to unite and meet the business demands for consistent software and services delivery, Agile can be extended to the product operation phase.
DevOps Goals and Objectives
Since DevOps processes cover the entire software delivery cycle, there are several main goals centered on the reduction of:
- the time period from creation to market release;
- the bug frequency of new products;
- the time it takes to complete fixes;
- recovering period when a new version fails.
DevOps managed services are focused on predictability, efficiency, security, and maintainability of operational processes, as well as regular delivery of a reliable product, its updates, and maintenance.
Core DevOps Principles
There are 5 basic principles (CALMS) of DevOps implementation for increasing the frequency of releases and improving the team’s responsibility for the product:
- Culture – multi-functional cooperation of diverse specialists and teams through a single information space of project content, open communication channels and constant communication of all participants;
- Automatization – includes using continuous delivery tools, running each code change through a series of automated tests, packaging successful assemblies and moving them to a production server using automated deployments, managing infrastructure as code through self-deploying environments configurations;
- Lean – elimination of actions with low utility and acceleration of processes, continuous improvement through regular retrospective analysis, separate testing of various tools, acceptance of failures, the ability to quickly detect problems and solve them immediately;
- Measurements of performance (for example, the duration of user work with the product, the frequency of critical error messages in the logs) – clear and precise criteria for evaluating work, indicators of process efficiency are needed;
- Sharing – joint responsibility and sharing of successes, release, and maintenance of the application are carried out by the same people who built it.
Advantages of DevOps
Deploying novel technologies always brings results. Standardization and automation of the software development translates into the following DevOps benefits for business:
- events, documented management processes, and detailed reports are easy to follow;
- developers have more control over the environment, providing the infrastructure with a more applied perception of the product and its operation;
- significant reduction in time to market due to a “seamless” development and implementation cycle;
- improving customer satisfaction;
- enhancing the characteristics and authenticity of products;
- enhanced capacity and efficiency of your team;
- quick response and high speed of tests;
- expanding the competencies and abilities of developers – programmers participate in setting up servers and finding bugs, writing automated tests, smoothing out possible infrastructure vulnerabilities in the code.
All the above-listed advantages that DevOps managed services provide can reduce the number of errors during application deployment by about 5 times.
What are DevOps business requirements? Obviously, implementation of DevOps services requires a certain level of digital transformation maturity. Thus, if you want to make DevOps part of your company or your project, you might need professional assistance from experienced DevOps services providers. Top DevOps consulting companies like ITM House will help you deploy and manage the new and existing infrastructure, staying confident that everything will be handled with the highest quality.